Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Armed with the Armor of God

      


 Armed with the Armor of God
            I hauled the helmet over my head, released my grasp on the chunk of metal and let it clash against my petite shoulders.  I continued to clothe myself with armor, snatching the handle of the fierce round shield and seizing the most important piece, the Bible.  My soul overflowed with strength gifted from above.  As I marched into my high school, others bombarded me with questions and shot down my beliefs. School life was a battle as the Jesus Freak on campus.
Who I was in Christ was not a secret. The Lord allowed me to be bold and strong with my words and my actions. As a result, I was infamous for my love and faith in the Lord. Daily my school saw how I identified myself; not separated from Christ but one with Him. I wore a Jesus Freak bracelet, put Scripture up in my locker, and never backed down from a conversation that would prove the glory of God. These things made me extremely different. Nevertheless, because I was willing to be transformed instead of conform, the Lord used me in incomprehensible ways.
I recall many incidents when I was filled with the Holy Spirit. One event stands out in my mind. It was an overcrowded art room with three rectangular tables. Each held at least eighteen students. My teacher paced vigorously at the head of the tables.  Engrossed in the lecture I was unaware of the shuffling around me; a group of eight encircled my chair. This group previously persecuted, attacked, and questioned all that I believed. An in-class activity distracted the rest of the class from the assault.  I bowed my head, clasped my hands, and begged for the Lord’s strength and wisdom. When I opened my eyes to confront the challenge ahead, my teacher placed a Bible in my hands, and suddenly became blinded to the happenings in that corner. The other students began questioning me and, with Scripture to stand on, I defended my Lord. Eventually, the Holy Spirit broke through the barriers of their hearts. It was over an hour of exhausting ministry. As the conflict rolled to a resolution, I could see changed faces and hearts around me.
The Lord blessed me with an overflowing peace during the battle.  However, when the group separated I shook, wept, and turned deathly pale. The story does not end there.  A majority received Christ as their Savior and regularly attended church while the others followed up with questions.
        Throughout my high school experience, the Lord used me in miraculous ways. He gave me the strength to fight armies, the wisdom to change hearts, and a passion that will never end. He continued to protect me with His armor. The Lord allowed me to see the fruit of my ministry.  Many of the students and faculty returned and told me of the new desires of their hearts, Jesus Christ. 
            Today, I am growing in my new environment at The Master’s College. I am surrounded by Christian people who are striving for the same goals. Classes, chapel, worship, and discipleship have already strengthened and changed me. I started as a warrior for Christ constantly in the fire; everything was about ministering to other people. Now I am the person being ministered to. The journey continues as Christ leads me to new schools and new environments where I am able to shout His Word and His purpose for all people from the rooftops.

    Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Ephesians 6: 11


All content copyright © 2009 Amber Johnson. All rights reserved.
You MUST GET WRITTEN PERMISSION to reprint or republish any of this material.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger